Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Arrival Safe and Sound in Germany

Audrey and I arrived safe and sound in Germany this morning, a little tired but looking forward to everything. I have a bit of a cold that I picked up somewhere, so that is adding to my fatique and stacks onto my "jet lag", so just a short note for now.

Notice the "His and Hers" luggage. We left Medicine Hat on Monday 10 September, at about 2:30 PM, and drove to Calgary.


Mom and Dad "Who? Us Worry?" Bogner saw us off. Buddy wanted to go with us in the worst way...



We stayed overnight in the Travelodge in Calgary. The rooms were nothing special, but they had the best rate to leave the Van parked in their parking lot for 3 weeks - free! Other places wanted as much as $10/day!


Naturally, we had to dine at the "Red Lobster".



We caught our flight out of Calgary on time and without any problems. Considering it was the anniversary of 9/11 the security was pretty much the same as always. However, the flight was only about 2/3 full, which was a bit lighter than normal. In Toronto we transfered onto one of the new Boeing 777 aircraft for the trip to Frankfurt. It is HUGE as you can see from the picture! After everyone was on the plane they decided that they had to change the weather radar, so they took the cone off the front of the aircraft and switched in a new one. This took about an hour, while we waited inside. Other than being a bit of a long trip, the ride to Frankfurt was routine. We tried to get some sleep, but it was pretty much impossible. I think Audrey may have gotten a couple hours of rest though.




We arrived in Frankfurt at about 7:05 AM on September 12. As you can see, I am pretty much jet-lagged out. It took a long time to get through customs - pretty much chaos as far as I could tell, which was not what I was expecting to encounter in Germany! Then it took a while to locate our luggage. Fortunately Graham and Barb were waiting patiently for us, and we were able to hook up at about 8:30. Graham rented a great minivan for us - an Opal. This is a pretty high end machine for Germany!
We drove from Frankfurt to Rothenburg, arriving at about 12:30 PM. We drove over a combination of Autobahn and scenic routes. Our first good look at Germany was breathtaking! Much of the trip we drove through the lush and fertile Tauber river valley. More about that later (and some pictures too!). In any event we are all settled in at the BurgHotel here in Rothenburg. I am really looking forward to doing a bit of exploring over the next couple of days!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i got my school pics and we dont kno what size you want them in mom. i also still cant find my social secerity number so i cant get a job...

Stephen and Audrey Bogner said...

Hi Nick;
Your SIN card is in the file cabinet, second or third drawer, in the folder for birth certificates.

Dad.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom and Dad; I hope your trip is going well - last night I dreamed I was there with you.. except the van we rented somehow morphed into an escalator and I got flung off :( ... strange. haha.

Anyway, keep us posted! I miss you a lot already. Work is good, I've been pretty busy. School is starting to pick up, I have homework almost every night (but I have been keeping up). Make sure you take lots of pictures!

If you want to email me, my email address is xxthis_rosexx@hotmail.com
I'm not sure what email address to send anything to if I wanted to, so I need you to email me first!

Love,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve and Audrey,
Hope your trip is going well. Looking forward to reading more...

Pete and Annette

Anonymous said...

dad my internet went out on my comp and i cant get it back? i dont kno whato to do :(

Anonymous said...

my internet is back up. gusse what... grandpa shaved his mustache!!!! lol just thought i should put that out there rofl. XD

Anonymous said...

my internet is back up. gusse what... grandpa shaved his mustache!!!! lol just thought i should put that out there rofl. XD

Anonymous said...

lol it double posted my post XD

Anonymous said...

Hi to everyone!
The trip is going great and all is well. However, internet access is almost nonexistent... I am typing this at an internet cafe, using dialup! I have lots of pictures to post, but may have to do that a bit later. Don´t worry if you don´t hear from us regularly, because it is likely just no internet connection. I will try to post later today, if Audrey will let me take the time off from sightseeing and eating in great resturants!

Later, Stephen.